Severe X breakage heads up

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 15:47:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 07:24 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote:
> > I plan to rebase the X server to git master a week from today (Monday,
> > November 12), which means the changes should hit rawhide on Tuesday.
> >
> I'm interested in getting a few drivers going that haven't made it to
> rawhide yet.  In particular, 'via'
> and 'mga'.  What's the best process for helping out with this?  Is is
> straight forward to just grab
> the latest driver from GIT and build a new/improved RPM?

Grab the newest driver from git, update the buildreqs in the specfile to
be xorg-x11-server-devel >= 1.4.99.1, and try to build it.  If it works,
awesome.  If not, the driver probably needs to be ported to
libpciaccess.

There's a rough howto for porting on the Xorg wiki:

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/PciReworkHowto

It's mostly mechanical, but there are some bits that may require actual
understanding of PCI.  If you port a driver and get it working, either
send me the patch or post it to xorg at lists.freedesktop.org and we'll get
it merged.

- ajax