yum groups (was: Re: RPM groups)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 17:57:35 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:23:56 -0700
> "Jerry James" <loganjerry at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Look in /usr/share/doc/rpm-{version number}/GROUPS for a list.  I
>> remember seeing a wiki page that listed all group names in actual
>> use, but I can't find it now.
>>
>> There are quite a few packages in the Development/Libraries/Java
>> group.  Why isn't that group in the list?
>
> The FPC has mostly ignored the Groups tag.  It's not used by yum, and
> thus all the tools based upon yum (pirut, anaconda, pungi, repoview,
> etc...)  We strongly feel that grouping and tagging belongs outside of
> the package itself (so that other people can group them as necessary
> without rebuilding them, etc...) and thus we focus on having
> appropriate grouping in comps, our current external grouping tool.

OK.  Someone asked me to put virt-top in the Base System /
Virtualization group (in pup) [1].  This is what prompted the original
question, because I don't know how to do this.

It seems like the groups listed by "yum grouplist" are similar to the
ones in pup (but not hierarchical).  Meanwhile the groups listed in
/usr/share/doc/rpm-*/GROUPS are completely different.

Reading around this it seems like the yumgroups.xml file in the
repository controls this (although the Fedora repos don't seem to have
this file -- perhaps it's been renamed?).  So I guess my question is
what controls what packages are in what groups?

Rich.

[1]
http://redhat.download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/os/repoview/virtualization.group.html