semi-automatic firefox rebuilds (was Re: Review queue/FESCo after the merge)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 18:02:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:52:12 +0100
Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> /me removes the newlines and created a quick loop in bash
>
> Here is your "script":
> ---
> for package in blam chmsee devhelp epiphany epiphany-extensions
> firefox galeon gnome-python2-extras gnome-web-photo gtkmozembedmm
> kazehakase liferea Miro openvrml ruby-gnome2 yelp; do
> 	pushd ${package}
> 	bumpspecfile.py *.spec
> 	make tag build
> 	popd
> done

So this is great and all, but it's FF specific, where we're moving to
xulrunner anyway.  Time is better spent getting these things to support
xul.

Not that this script isn't handy at all.  In fact, I think we (as
Fedora) need to appoint somebody or some "body" (like a SIG) to oversee
the entire gecko stack both now and in the future to ensure that
updates are coordinated.  Just building is only one part of the puzzle,
they all have to get pushed out at the same time and into the same
repos.

I don't have the time or energy to own this problem space.  I can tell
you from my perspective where the problems are, and take a look at
proposed solutions.  Your script may indeed prove very handy to those
that are going to own this problem space, especially if it were tied
into the makefile changes Luke made for auto-filing bodhi push requests.

--
Jesse Keating