FESCo meeting today at 20:00 UTC!

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Nov 19 18:46:01 UTC 2007

On Monday 19 November 2007, Brian Pepple wrote:

> /topic MISC - Deadline to drop kmods - f13

Please discuss whether packages that more or less depend on some kmods can
still be included even if the kmods themselves are dropped.

Use case: em8300-* stuff isn't that useful without the em8300 kmods, but
without em8300-devel some packages that gracefully fall back to not using
em8300 hardware if the kmods/devices are not available won't build support
for those devices in at all.  If that support would be built in, users of
that hardware could get support for it just by building the kmods locally,
without having to build also the em8300 utilities and devel packages nor
those packages that have build time optional dependencies to em8300-devel.

>From my POV in this particular case, I'd be inclined to let em8300 (the
non-kmod package) stay in Fedora because of the above, and also because it's
actually possible that the em8300 modules get beaten into a shape where they
can be included in upstream or Fedora kernels by F9 or F10 time.