[Fwd: Font issues (mkfontdir & friends not getting run) with F-8]

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Nov 20 10:55:05 UTC 2007

Le Mar 20 novembre 2007 11:25, Hans de Goede a écrit :

> Isn't the solution for this problem (missing fonts.dir / fonts.scale)
> as simple
> as adding a single guideline that font packages which add a symlink
> under
> /etc/X11/fontpath.d MUST ship a pre-generated fonts.dir and
> fonts.scale, and no
> try to generate these using scriptlets?

IIRC pre-shipping these files caused other problems, but I doubt there
is enough core fonts expertise left to identify them easily (I vaguely
remember mkfontdir output was dependant on local hardware resolution
or xorg version). The people who knew core fonts innards dropped it
like radioactive material as soon as fontconfig was available.

Whatever solution you choose forcing installation of core fonts
backend by the main font package is a no-go for modern fonts (TTF/OTF,
maybe Type 1 too). You can split the core font scriptlet parts in a
subpackage, or ship pre-generated files, as long as you do not impact
the vast majority of users who have no need for core fonts.

--
Nicolas Mailhot