RFC: changing versioning of fedora-release in rawhide

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 19:06:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 14:02:04 -0500
Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> Normally, post-release, we bump the version of fedora-release and
> switch it to use rawhide by default.
>
> However, by doing this, we change the 'releasever' variable used by
> yum to 8.90 (or whatever). This means that doing things like:
>
> yum --disablerepo=development --enablerepo=fedora
>
> will not work without editing the config files.
>
> What I propose is that instead of changing the package version, we
> just change the release. Something like 'fedora-release-8-5.rawhide',
> or similar.

I somewhat question picking up packages from the previous release once
you've gotten to the point of your fedora-release package bumped,
especially from a bug reproducing pov, but....

I see no real problem with this.  In the past, the fedora-release
version number lined up (albiet oddly) with the test release numbers.
Since we're not doing numbered test-releases anymore, we could
certainly go to:  fedora-release-8-6.alpha; fedora-release-8-7.beta;
fedora-release-9-1.preview; fedora-release-9-2

We could change the content that is seen at boot time for the Fedora
version to list the "Beta" or "Alpha" or "Preview" without changing the
base package version, until we want to make the switch to the next
version (and make use of mirrormanager redirects for early adopters).

--
Jesse Keating