InstantMirror Proposal Re: ApacheMirror.py for a site-local Fedora mirror

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 22:57:25 UTC 2007

Jonathan Steffan wrote:
> Fedora Unity currently has a hack of a solution using a modified Yam. I
> like the idea of an instant mirror that doesn't have to be pre-synced
> but there are some use cases where having the full mirror local is useful.
>
> http://damaestro.us/Members/jon/repo_sync-0.2-1.src.rpm
>
> It still needs a lot of work. We (Fedora Unity) were planning on adding
> a hosted projected called 'reflector'. Maybe these two efforts should
> join forces?

I took a quick look at your code.  It seems that you have yet another
implementation of an rsync wrapper that everyone seems to write for to
manage their own mirror server.  It would be good to make this into a
proper upstream project and to have people collaborate on it.  This
however is an entirely different use-case than the proposed
InstantMirror project.

You would use reflector to populate a traditional mirror, while
InstantMirror operates as a proxy cache mirror.  I suppose the two could
optionally work together to pre-populate the InstantMirror cache
directories, but these are two distinctly different projects.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com