libglade2 Problem: Can't Find Symbols

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Nov 23 03:25:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 20:15 -0700, Richi Plana wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 16:45 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 13:35 -0700, Richi Plana wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This isn't strictly speaking a fedora-devel subject, but I'm hoping a
> > > fellow packager or Fedora programming gurus can help.
>
> > You are probably missing -Wl,--export-dynamic when compiling your app.
>
> In that case, I've a bit of a problem here and I'm not sure what the
> right solution is (or which module to file a bug report against if it is
> a bug).
>
> Apparently, the pkg-config file for libglade2 (libglade-2.0.pc) doesn't
> include compiler-to-linker options to export symbols
> (-Wl,--export-dynamic). In fact, most applications which rely on
> libglade2 have been using other means of getting those symbols in. (in
> F7, it was through gmodule-2.0.pc (which got pulled in because the app
> uses libgnomeui-2.0.pc -> libgnome-2.0.pc -> libbonobo-2.0.pc).
> Unfortunately in F8, libgnomeui-2.0.pc eventually ends up pulling
> gmodule-no-export-2.0.pc, which, as the name implies, doesn't do symbol
> exporting.
>
> Either other app developers are adding additional libraries that they
> know needs to be added for libglade2 ... or everyone's just been plain
> lucky so far.
>
> As much as it feels to me like libglade-2.0.pc should have the export
> options (since apps using libglade2 almost always need it), I'm no
> expert and would defer to the community who's done more Gnome2
> programming than I.

The --export-dynamic is only needed if the libglade-using application
making use of the signal-autoconnection feature. I have no statistics
about this, but I've seen a fair number of glade files which don't use
it. The easiest way out is to add gmodule-export-2.0 to the list of
requires pkg-config modules for your application.