libglade2 Problem: Can't Find Symbols

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Fri Nov 23 06:55:20 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> writes:
> On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 22:03 -0800, Peter Gordon wrote:
>> Incorrect. Invoking autotools modifies the package's build scripts, not
>> source code. There is a significant difference.

> With all due respect, you could not be much wronger.

> auto* generated files are not supposed to be dynamically modified nor
> are they designed to be dynamically modified.
> That's the reason why they are part of source tarballs.

No, the reason why they are part of source tarballs is that
traditionally tarball-makers haven't wanted to assume that users will
have autotools installed.

> From a practical aspect:
> Running incompatibles version of the  autotools during builds can break
> a package.

Certainly true.  On the other hand, *not* rebuilding the scripts can
also break a package, particularly with respect to libtool, IME.

It's a case-by-case issue, and so I see any sort of generalized
opinionating about it as fundamentally misguided.  I do a forced
automake/libtoolize/autoconf for some of my packages, and not others.

			regards, tom lane