NetworkManager-umts

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 19:41:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 13:47 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 10:58:20AM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > now, but it looks like that code is easily tweaked to handle CDMA
> > broadband cards as well since they are vastly simpler to interact with
> > than GSM cards.
>
> Really?  I thought they all just looked like modems?  No?
>
> I use Verizon, so I've only dealt with the CDMA stuff on my phone
> (over bluetooth and USB).  I have looked at the GSM howtos and I
> thought they were basically the same.  I guess I do recall a few odd
> AT commands that they needed...
>
> Oh, well...just curious!

It's basically AT commands that differ.  GSM has a standard for the AT
commands that is implemented (mostly) the same for all the GSM cards.
CDMA card's don't appear to be as standardized.

CDMA cards are much simpler to control though; since you don't need to
pick a network (roaming is controlled through whitelists called PRLs),
the dialup number is usually the same (#777, ie #PPP), and you usually
don't need a username and password (dummy values work fine since the
network authenticates you based on MEID or ESN, not user/pass).  You
also don't need to select what band you want to use since they
automatically pick the best available connectivity (whereas with GSM you
can sometimes pick between GSM/GPRS/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA).

Dan