Two Problems

Eric Work work.eric at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 01:44:57 UTC 2007

Michael Schwendt & Tom "spot" Callaway,

>> 1. After updating the package source and spec file for gtkdatabox for
>> FC-5 and FC-6 and attempting a build, I realized that the pango version
>> available in those releases is too old.  Upstream only mentioned a
>> dependency on gtk+ 2.8 not pango 1.16.  I will inform upstream also but
>> how should I resolve this.  The question is how should I revert back to
>> an older version of the package?
>
> If it built fine in the buildsys, we can delete the build from the
> needsign repo and don't push it. In CVS, however, you can simply revert to
> the files from the previous package release. Look at something like "cvs
> log gtkdatabox.spec" for the tags you've applied before, check out the
> older package with a given tag and commit the files to CVS HEAD again.

Michael, The build did not succeed so that made things a little simpler.
  I did as you suggested and updated CVS HEAD with the older version.
That was a pretty simple fix.  I also noticed that running "make build"
in any branch prior to FC-6 fails.  I'm guessing this is expected.

>> > 2. The other problem is that gtkdatabox is unable to build on x86_64 do
>> > to some problem with -fPIC even though it's being used when the source
>> > files are compile.  I was able to compile the source on my 64-bit Ubuntu
>> > machine with no problems.  Maybe a problem with autotools?  The koji
>> > taskID is: 259807.
>
> No, its a problem with the gtkdatabox source. Ubuntu might not have
> caught it because G_GNUC_INTERNAL isn't defined in their toolchain (just
> guessing). The gtk_databox_marshal_VOID__POINTER_POINTER has the
> G_GNUC_INTERNAL attribute on it in the .h file, but not in the .c file,
> thus the confusion at link time.
>
> I've attached two patches, one to fix the x86_64 compile error, and the
> other to make gtkdatabox use the Fedora optflags. And as a bonus, I've
> attached a new spec file which not only applies these patches, it also
> fixes the license tag to be in compliance with the Fedora licensing
> policy.

Tom, thanks for all your work the package now builds on all archs.  I
have submitted the compiler patch upstream.  When I get a new version
back from upstream (which should be soon) I'll push the update to F-7
and F-8.

-Eric