Should "yum install" be case sensitive?

Kautz, Frederick fkautz at pseudocode.cc
Tue Nov 27 01:58:07 UTC 2007

>Hi.
>
>On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:27:50 -0500, seth vidal wrote
>
>> yes, b/c it is a really bad idea.
>>
>> much like having: rm -rf foo actually be case insensitive.
>
>Bonus points for argumentation. Find counterexample and postulate
>generality.
>
>Oh, and that above is dependant on the underlying file system.

Not that we are worrying about cygwin... but it turns out that
$ touch TEST
$ rm test

The file TEST is removed. rm has everything to do with the underlying
filesystem.

My thought on this topic is... if yum is asked to install mysql and the
package name is actually MySQL... it should make a suggestion like:

Could not find package 'mysql'. Would you like to install package
'MySQL' instead? [y/N]

Perhaps someone could come up with a better wording for it. I do not
think this approach would add much time to yum. Perhaps someone with
more knowledge on the implementation of yum could confirm this.