Should "yum install" be case sensitive?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Nov 27 10:13:37 UTC 2007

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, seth vidal wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 02:10 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> I understood you think it is a bad idea but if yum already checks first
>> to see if there is a perfect match and then does a more fuzzy search, I
>> don't see a problem with it. There are people who do yum -y remove foo
>> and then blame yum. I think your rm -rf example is similar.
>>
>> There is a real need to solve the problem that OP talks about. It has
>> bitten me more than once including precisely the example cited: Miro. I
>> am not sure what would be the best solution though. Debian does it by
>> enforcing lower case on all their packages IIRC.
>
> Yes and that is what we should do - enforce lower case on all packages.
>
> Policy problems should be handled in policy, not by adding crack to
> software.

Amen. I hate typing WeIRdPaCKageNaMEs as much as the next guy, but
depsolvers guess package names is not a good idea. Someboy wants it bad
enough, it should be easy enough to write yum-didyoumean plugin that does
elaborate guesswork and offers near matches "Did you mean foo?" ala
Google.

Can we finally have the lower case on package names policy?
Pretty please?

 	- Panu -