Should "yum install" be case sensitive?

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 13:30:18 UTC 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 7:50 PM, Michał Bentkowski <mr.ecik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> Recently, a funny thing happened on Polish Fedora forum. Some users
> were talking about Miro but rest of them weren't able even to install
> that... After some time it turned out that they tried to type "yum
> install miro" instead of "yum install Miro".
> So my question is the same as in the topic: should "yum install" be
> case sensitive?
> I haven't checked but I'm quite sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that
> there are no packages in repo whose names differ in letter size.
> What's more: "yum list" command is case insensitive and there's
> nothing wrong with it, is there? I know that you can say that these
> users I wrote about in the beginning should have used "yum list" first
> and then they would have found out why things went wrong but it makes
> a need to type more and more commands.
> "yum install" gives a summary what packages are going to be installed
> so if a user wanted to run "Foo", but not "foo" she/he could break the
> installation.
> Besides, pressing SHIFT key could be painful ;-)
> So my proposal is to make "yum install" (and probably "yum update" as
> well) case insensitive.
> Just think about it :)

quite funny that this mixed and upper case package name discussion
flames up again. if you look hard on the net you will find a few
emails on various lists of mine pointing out the usability drawbacks
of the upper/mixed case situation like 5 years ago.

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl

p.s. i share your view ;)