Changing the rpm default queryformat to include arch

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 19:39:10 UTC 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 10:19 AM, Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:
> Anyone that's parsing rpm output in a script should have been using
> the --qf option a long time ago to ensure that they get the output
> they want, really.

The --qf option even for uninstall package files sitting on a
filesystem which may or may not be mounted on an operating system with
rpm available but is accessible via the network for rpm using system
to pull from?

We can should ourselves until we are blue in the face and tsk tsk
people for not using the qf mechanism appropriately with scripted rpm
queries... but we'll still need to make a polite effort to re-educate
the people who are relying on the default structure of string.

I'm not saying this as an argument against doing it. I'm saying when
you do it, it will be relatively more painful to add a new epoch field
internal to the string than tacking on information at the end of the
querystring AND the package filename.  We should make a vocal
preemptive effort to get the word out before this lands in a release
to take the edge off the disgruntled bloodlust for making a change.
There is discussion in this thread about changing the filename as well
as the rpmdb querystring to be self-consistent in terms of displaying
the epoch. Any scripting against package  filenames will be disrupted
by a new epoch field and I think that deserves some effort to raise
awareness sooner rather than later.

-jef