alpha/beta software in Fedora 8?

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 10:37:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 11:24 +0100, Adam Tkac wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 11:41:13PM +0100, Mark wrote:
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > I understand why you choose to include it but i don't really like it.
> > If i run a server i want to have the latest _stable_ releases and
> > certainly no alpha (BIND) beta or even a build (NetworkManager)! now i
> > can imagine that desktop applications that aren't in a final release
> > can get pushed in Fedora because it simply has some nice additions
> > that you don't want your users to miss. But BIND is a vital part of a
> > server (DNS Server) so i think you shouldn't include beta's or even
> > alpha's of that in final releases of Fedora.
> >
> > And you say:
> > > Fedora has new features and new features mean bugs so you
> > > cannot expect such stability like RHEL.
> >
> > Oke i understand that. BUT the fact that you do push a vital server
> > component that is in alpha in Fedora does imply that you are testing
> > it on fedora for RHEL! (which in term keeps your other statement
> > standing).
> >
> > Fedora is used for servers (which you as a redhat employee probably
> > know) but in the mean time it's purpose is mainly a desktop OS. I
> > would say that:
> >  - All server components like Sendmail, DNS, Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL
> > etc.. should stay up to date with there latest _stable_ release (no
> > alpha's, beta's or rc's)
> >  - All desktop related applications can probably be less tight.. I
> > don't see a problem there for alpha's, beta's or rc's.. as long as the
> > applications itself don't crash and just work.
> >
> > That's just my point of view as a fedora desktop and (previously) server user.
>
> >From BIND changelog:
> * Tue Jun 19 2007 Adam Tkac <atkac redhat com> 31:9.5.0a5-1
>
> It means BIND lives in rawhide/F8 about five months and I have
> reported only one more serious issue (#400461, that is why this thread
> was started). I believe that "a" word appended to version feels people
> with dread but I have to say not in this case. I'm ready to downgrade
> F8 BIND to latest stable but I can't see any argument why. One bug?
> Because it is alpha? These are not arguments whose could controvert my
> opinion that it was good decision put 9.5 to F8

I have to agree with you. The "alpha" name in version mostly doesn't
mean much. If you really tested it thoroughly I don't think you should
be blamed. Because otherwise nobody could allow for example Evolution
into the distro as it sometimes eats e-mails in my configuration (the
bug is reported upstream for a long time and no fix is ahead).

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb