alpha/beta software in Fedora 8?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Wed Nov 28 16:46:08 UTC 2007

At 7:55 AM -0500 11/28/07, Jesse Keating wrote:
>"In general, it is preferred if maintainers avoid releasing "alpha" or
>"beta" builds of packages into Fedora (both Rawhide and released
>updates)

"if stable releases are available on a usable schedule"

>.  However a package maintainer has the right to use their own
>discretion regarding this issue and may provide whatever (s)he sees fit
>for the user base.  Things to consider include the amount of testing an
>alpha or beta release has seen, the timeline to turn said alpha or beta
>into a stable release,

"how dependent the rest of the system is on the package,"

> the feature sets provided, or the bugs fixed.
>There may be other factors at play as well, which is why the person
>best suited to make such a decision is the package maintainer in
>question."

Breaking, say, f-spot would irritate some people (but not me).  Breaking
emacs would irritate more (still not me).  Breaking X is very irritating,
and is currently being handled with great care.  Breaking, say, name
resolution is also very irritating -- even for people who aren't using X.