alpha/beta software in Fedora 8?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 19:00:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 18:46 +0000, dexter wrote:
> On Wed November 28 2007 17:36:49 Jesse Keating wrote:
> > Just because the features are Enterprise
> > focused doesn't mean they're automatically beta.
> true
> > It just means that
> > the focus is more on Enterprise needs, which are often customer driven.
> But when your mission is to focus on Enterprise(rhel) customers just before
> they release it's not hard to see why people are saying fedora is beta for
> rhel. I personally don't see how you'll drop this tag when you have a couple
> of "Comunity focused" then a "Corporate focused" cycle.

The difference is what _types_ of things are being worked on.  ie, I
don't think that there are a huge number of Fedora/community users out
there clamoring for iSCSI support at install-time[1], but it was
something that mattered for enterprise customers -- thus, it was one of
the things that got a bit of my time in the FC6 cycle.  Alternately, a
lot of the work for the livecds, installing from the livecds, etc
weren't things that matter for enterprise customers but are very import
for Fedora.  And that's where a lot of my time has been for F7 and F8.

But that said, the features being done for the enterprise case _are_
relevant and interesting to some of the community and so benefit
everyone.

Jeremy

[1] And the fact that it's been at least partially broken for most of
the F7 and F8 cycles (with some late fixups) without anyone noticing
helps to support this claim :-)