repoview + PackageDB (was Re: rawhide report: 20071127 changes)

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 29 02:21:20 UTC 2007

TK> Patrick Ohearn wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 23:28 -0500, Build System wrote:
>> New package R-rlecuyer
>>> R interface to RNG with multiple streams
>>>
>> Is there a web interface for checking different versions in
>> different repos, say like packages.gentoo.org and
>> packages.debian.org?
>>
TK> You're looking for repoview:

TK> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/repoview/

Unfortunately repoview shows only a fraction of the information that
packages.debian.org and doesn't unify them nearly as well as
packages.debian.org does.

I think that PackageDB should ultimately become the equivalent kind of
"portal", because we have a proliferation of sites where various
package information is kept (bodhi, packagedb, koji, repoview) and it
would be nice to tie them in all together into a single package
"portal" the way Debian/Ubuntu does with all information about the
package in one location and fold the repoview stuff into it. You could
still keep the koji, bodhi web interfaces as they are, but have
PackageDB querying them and displaying all the latest information in
one place for each package.  PackageDB has started this with the new
bugzilla interface, which is nice.

I have some notes on this here:

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/packagedb/ticket/79#comment:1

Toshio made some notes on how they might be implemented there too.

TK> note that skvidal recently got repoview working again so there
TK> might be some rough edges.  Letting us know what those are on IRC
TK> (#fedora-admin) or in a ticket
TK> https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/fedora-infrastructure/

Alex