samba license change

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Oct 10 12:04:49 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede <at> hhs.nl> writes:
> Its really simple to me, TrollTech has the power to fix this, and they
> should, so instead of endless discussions here, maybe those that care should
> focus their efforts on TrollTech instead?

Actually, depending on what exactly gets linked with libsmbclient (which in
turn depends on your definition of "linking", is the external kio_smb process
the only thing considered "linked" with libsmbclient? ldd seems to think so
(the kio_*.so libs are actually started up as separate processes by kdeinit,
and only kio_smb.so shows up as linked to libsmbclient), but is ldd the correct
definition of "linking" here?), some other KDE contributors may have to
relicense their code too. But what's sure is that without Trolltech, KDE can't
do anything.

        Kevin Kofler