yum-updatesd in F8?

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 10 14:59:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 16:55 +0200, Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 15:46 +0100, José Matos wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 October 2007 15:28:26 Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > > And you don't consider that to be blocking?
> >
> > Cann't you wait less than 10 seconds (the worst wait time I had)? You are
> > really a busy person. ;-)
>
> Now do a reasonable F-7 desktop installation, and then see if it would
> be less than 10 seconds even if you have a moderately fast internet
> connection. And imaging that you are a newbie and have no idea what
> blocks what and how long would it take, and whether it will ever
> unblock.

If the transaction is being performed what alternative do you have?

reading from the rpmdb while a transaction is occurring is possible you
just won't be able to rely on the results as 'correct'

Now, if you're talking about grabbing a new copy of the metadata then
what we've put on the 'future' todo list is downloading he metadata to a
tmpdir, checking it out and putting it in place once its correct,
however, that's a bit racy b/c you end up with the potential for 2 or
more processes to want to write to the same location with, potentially
different data.

-sv