fontsize in 7.92

Christoph Höger choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue Oct 23 19:31:54 UTC 2007

Richi Plana schrieb:
> On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 00:24 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
>> Le mardi 23 octobre 2007 à 00:01 -0400, Christoph Hoeger a écrit :
>>

>>> is that sense-full? I mean, I've bought a Thinkpad R60 with a 1440x900
>>> Display to see more information on my screen simultaneously
>>>
>> If you want small fonts just lower the size in points of your fonts in
>> your app preferences. Gnome font preferences use pt as unit. Till now
>> the GNOME pt unit had no relation with the pt unit the rest of the world
>> uses. Now it's the same, so if you want small fonts you need to actually
>> configure small fonts and not change the unit meaning on your system
>> (and likewise if you want big fonts).
>>
>> That also means BTW that when you change laptop again your text will
>> stay the same size regardless of the screen resolution, so you can
>> invest the time to find good settings you'll keep them a long time.
>>

> I, for one, am glad that there's a move to make font sizes be based on
> length rather than point sizes.
>
> The selection of a default font size is still crap-shoot, at best.
> Having the monitor DPI as a dependency now allows people to say "I want
> fonts that are so-and-so millimeters in height", unfortunately, 1) we
> still lack information like distance of the viewer from the screen and
> the height of the screen relative to the viewer, and 2) we've no way to
> guess what the user would want, anyway. There are a couple of
> discussions on the most ergonomic distance between monitor and viewer,
> but font size preference is pretty varied. The only way to find out is
> to let the gnome desktop provide feedback (a'la Smolt) after the user
> has customized the desktop to his/her preference. Perhaps than a norm
> can be established.
>
> Personally, I would like to set my font size preference in some length
> unit of measure so that I can bump up the resolution and not have the
> fonts and icons shrink to sizes I can hardly read. It's important for me
> to see a lot more information on the screen, but not to the point where
> it becomes useless because they're too small that I keep having to
> squint. Believe me, straining ones eyesight like that will eventually
> take its toll.
> --
>
> Richi Plana

I totally agree with your point.
But in my case that would mean to have one choice to use "small fonts"
instead of "normal fonts". I think that choosing (and testing) every
font size until it fits your needs is a little too much work for a
normal user to have a comfortable desktop. So could we provide a
"small/normal/large font" switch or even theme?

christoph