Might Be A Problem With NM

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 14:19:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 08:07 -0600, Richi Plana wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 07:20 +0100, Leszek Matok wrote:
>
> > It did in F8t3 (not only left it alone, but the GNOME applet correctly
> > showed which NIC is active), I'd call it a regression.
>
> Do you have a bug number for this?
>
> > Oh, and it looks like it's not NM that's disconnecting my network - it's
> > rather the applet giving NM the command upon startup.
>
> In my case, it really disconnects at NM startup. I've disabled NM for
> now, but I'm sure that's not the solution we want if we want NM to get
> adopted and tested.

Actually, right now, it is what's wanted.

If you want control of networking within the user session,
NetworkManager is what you want.  This is the more expected use case
with those who run and install from the live images and thus it is the
default there.

If you want the network settings to be decided on a system-wide basis,
right now, you use the network service and not NetworkManager.  Work is
underway so that for F9, this group of users moves to using
NetworkManager as well

Jeremy