Kernel VMI (Virtual Machine Interface) in F7/F8?

Robert 'Bob' Jensen docs-list at fedoralinks.org
Sun Sep 30 21:53:42 UTC 2007

Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> Hi there...
>
> It seems (noted in releasenotes) that F7 should have a VMI (Virtual
> Machine Interface) enabled kernel by default, but from what I can find
> in the .config files it doesn't... Do I need a special kernel (i.e. only
> the XEN kernel has VMI or something) or was it lost in a kernel update
> or...?
>
> /Thomas

The page http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F7ReleaseSummary mentions
VMware's VMI. "This release includes the 2.6.21 based kernel which
integrates Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) technology with Fedora's
graphical virt-manager and command-line virsh tools. KVM provides a
hardware accelerated virtualization solution, and users have a choice
between KVM and Xen, along with Qemu, in this release. The kernel
included in this release also has support for VMWare's VMI interface."

I do not find any other mention of VMI on the Wiki or in the release notes.

Robert 'Bob' Jensen
Fedora Unity Project
http://fedoraunity.org/
bob at fedoraunity.org