NetworkManager + 802.1x wired? [Re: very common kernel modules slow down the boot process]

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Apr 21 16:40:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 17:38 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 14:47 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > Can you give wpa_supplicant a shot again to make sure it will work
> > first?  Make sure you set "ap_scan=0" in the global section (ie, at the
> > top and not in a 'network' block).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dan
> >
> OK,
>
> Seems I've managed to get it working with wpa_supplicant as well. The
> script I use for wpa_supplicant handled connection looks like this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> service NetworkManager stop
> ifconfig eth0 up
> sleep 8
> wpa_supplicant -ieth0 -Dwired -c/home/martin/.private/KolejNET/wpa.conf
> -B
> dhclient eth0
> killall -9 hald-addon-input
>
> The sleep 8 is there because in past I was having problems with
> xsupplicant trying to run before eth0 was already up, so I left it
> there, just in case... The killall -9 hald-addon-input is there because
> I noticed that during some of that steps (probably stopping nm) cpu load
> goes to 100 % and stays there until I kill that daemon...
>
> So, what is the way now to get it working with nm?

1) Right-click on the applet, choose "Edit connections..."; or
run /usr/bin/nm-connection-editor

2) Select the "Wired" tab

3) Click "Add"

4) Select the "802.1x Security" tab

5) Check the "Use 802.1x security for this connection" box

6) Choose your phase1 authentication (TLS, TTLS, PEAP)

7) Fill in the rest of the options

8) Hit OK

9) Plug the cable in

10) choose "Wired connection 1" from applet menu

I just got an 802.1x capable switch last week so if something goes
wrong, please send /var/log/messages and I'll poke around and try to
debug.

Thanks!
Dan