RFC: Firefox general.autoScroll to true

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 15:55:04 UTC 2008

Hey,

When you run firefox on windows, get on a big page and press the
scroll wheel you get this [1].
When you press it on linux in firefox you get... nothing...
It looked like mozilla intended to make it on (true) by default [2]
but could not find a later document of it.

I was planning on filing a bug report for this on bugzilla but it gave
me the message:  Bugzilla will be down until 19:00 EDT for
maintenance.
So no report (for now).

The advantage of having this turned to true by default is to get the
expected behavior compared to firefox for windows.
Also reported the same "bug" on ubuntu's firefox bugs [3]

All that's needed to "fix" this is: the firefox maintainer needs to
add this line:
pref("general.autoScroll",          true);
to firefox-redhat-default-prefs.js (btw.. fedora is splitted from
redhat so why not make a fedora specific prefs file like
firefox-fedora-default-prefs.js?)

And for a user that wants this turn on:
type about:config
type general.autoScroll
double click it or just change it to true
And done.

Also while looking through the firefox-redhat-default-prefs.js i
noticed that general.smoothScroll is turned on by default which is
probably because firefox is having scrolling issues with compiz
enabled. Here on my ubuntu box i have that part disabled! (actually bu
default) and compiz on and smooth scrolling (like in as smooth as in
windows)... so the "fix" is not to enable smoothscroll because that
simply reduces the lines that get scrolled when you.. scroll ^_^

[1] http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/firefox2/firefo54.gif
[2] http://kb.mozillazine.org/Talk:General.autoScroll
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/254230