RFC: Firefox general.autoScroll to true

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 16:57:31 UTC 2008

>> o btw with this RFC it still pastes the content from the clipboard but
>> only when you middle click on the address bar
>
> The three-button mice are no longer manufactured and trying to click with the
> scrolling wheel is a pain as it usually scrolls away instead of the past by
> mistake as I still failed to disable the scrolling in F-9 (Bug 446818).
>
> While the middle-button pasting was a great convenience it should be
> reconsidered nowadays as the hardware for it is no longer commonly available.

Where did i gave you the impression that i use a 3 button mouse.. it's
a 2 button with a wheel in the middle of it. and i meant clicking on
the wheel when your mouse is above the address bar.

>> Then that's for Fedora specific because that's not the case in
>> Ubuntu.
>
> Or perhaps the Ubuntu folks have changed things from upstream firefox?

Could be.. in windows pressing the wheel above the address bar makes
it select it.. so now we have 3 different osses with 3 different
choises.

>> But that behavior you described is as irritating as hell so the RFC
>> still stands.
>
> Heh, and then you get the opposite RFC from anyone who is used to the
> *nix behavior and wonders why Firefox is scrolling instead of pasting
> the clipboard contents as we'd expect. :)

I doubt a lot of linux using people expect that. i think they either
expect it to do nothing or to get the scrolling.

cc'd to ff maintainter.