RFC: Firefox general.autoScroll to true

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 12:49:20 UTC 2008

2008/8/4 Naheem Zaffar <naheemzaffar at gmail.com>:
>> More anedoctal evidence: at my job, some windows users who access
>> GNU/Linux and AIX servers via Putty, regularly use "copy on select"
>> (which Putty provides) and do *love* *it*!
>>
>> Since Windows doesn't have the concept of pasting the PRIMARY buffer
>> with the "middle button", Putty uses the right button for it.
>>
>> There is also another argument against changing this behaviour on
>> Firefox:
>>
>>  1. fix consistency for Windows Firefox users
>>  2. break consistency for all GNU/Linux desktop users
>>
>> The hipotetical benefit of 1. is far overcome by the concrete disaster
>> of 2., IMHO.
>
> Once again, the problem in NOT copy on select, nor paste on middle button.
> It is "use primary buffer as a link to go to" on middle button click.
>
> Not really that big of a deal, but there is much misunderstanding over what
> the original poster complained about.

What are you complaining about.
My initial post states very clear what i want and i even give the
examples of how to get what i want.
The is no misunderstanding from anyone here about that! The issue is
that a lot of the replies here are just flame replies and mix the
thing i want with other programs.

And to get on puty's select and paste.. i like that as well! and i use
SHIFT + INSERT as paste. Or right mouseclick depends on if the
mouseclick works or not.. can't really remember.. putty is a while ago
for me.

But for this subject.. we can't get out of it here because everyone is
right in it's own way. It's gonna be up to Mozilla to decide if they
find it worthy to change it to be consistent on the other osses or to
keep the keys like it "should" be on linux/*nix osses.

Also to get something else in the attention here. You once had mouses
with 3 buttons and a mousewheel which was clickable! to have the
middle button (not the wheel) act as paste is fine with me but the
mousewheel middle click is just (in my opinion) not meant to be as a
paste function. I doubt mouse vendors have intended the clickable
wheel to paste text.. Then for the 2 button mouses with the clickable
wheel.. the 3rd button is emulated there but the middle button is just
gone! so paste should be just gone as well because the button doesn't
exist.

Btw. Where can i find a *nix key specification that states the wheel click?