fedorahosted git repo too large

Nigel Jones dev at nigelj.com
Wed Aug 6 10:51:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 18:18 +0800, Yuan Yijun wrote:
> 2008/8/6 Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com>:
> > Yuan Yijun wrote:
> >> I just tried to download revisor git with this command "git pull
> >> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/revisor master". I have to repeat
> >> 4-5 times since it breaks during downloading. The .git folder is
> >> about 58MB. After "git gc --aggressive" it becomes only 6MB.
> >>
> >> Anyone please run gc on server?
> >
> > Perhaps better would be repack.  There was a recent thread on the git
> > list and one of the developers pointed out an older mail from Linus
> > where he described gc --aggressive as "mostly dumb" and recommended
> > that using something like "repack -a -d -f --depth=250 --window=250"
> > instead.
> >
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gcc.devel/94613
> >

> See that. The repack command is so hard to remember, while "git gc" is
> fast enough and also runs repack, AND the .git folder becomes 6.6MB
> without --aggressive...
git gc, while fast, is not as efficient, we have repos with nearly
100000 objects (anaconda) and while it does a fair job, (and quick - a
tenth of the time a git repack does) I do think that a repack would be a
good idea on a frequent basis (read bi/tri-monthly).

Of course, like beauty the usefulness is in the eyes of the beholder,
and while the majority of repos are very small, there are the few that
are over the 100M mark at present.  So different needs mean different
solutions.

- Nigel