peerdns=no, NetworkManager, doesn't work?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 02:53:23 UTC 2008

> Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> writes:
> > I have used system-config-network to de-select 'Automatically obtain dns information from provider' and I see in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-wlan0
> > PEERDNS=no
>
> > But starting NetworkManager, I get in /etc/resolv.conf:
> > # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
>
> > nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
> F-9's NetworkManager refuses to believe that you don't want its
> services: even after "sudo /sbin/chkconfig NetworkManager off", it
> overwrites /etc/resolv.conf during boot with figments of its imagination.

NM does not overwrite anything when it's disabled.

> (I'd be interested to know exactly where that's happening BTW; the file
> timestamp suggests it's being done during kernel start, which I
> sincerely hope isn't the case.)

Nope; it certainly cannot happen during kernel start, because nothing
related to NM is running at that time.

> I considered "rpm -e NetworkManager" but bz #351101 suggests that that
> would probably break my system even worse.  My current workaround is
> to do this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
>
> # gross workaround for NetworkManager brain death
> rm /etc/resolv.conf
> cp /etc/resolv.conf.manual /etc/resolv.conf

That's about what you have to do, simply because /etc/resolv.conf _can_
change (for reasons I've stated before) and right now we have no
"reference" resolv.conf.

This is _exactly_ the problem that other distros use resolvconf for;
stuff updates /etc/resolv.conf all the time, but unless you have some
reference copy somewhere that describes your boot-time settings for it
(which Fedora doesn't) then your resolv.conf will be all messed up on
reboot, whether you're running NetworkManager or not.

Dan