Interested in Fedora on Smaller Machines?

jeff moe at blagblagblag.org
Tue Aug 12 23:08:19 UTC 2008

Rex Dieter wrote:
> jeff wrote:
>

>> These are based on BLAG 90k which is based on Fedora 9.
>
> I'd personally much prefer if the blag folks work more closely to get such changes into fedora directly.  Anyone aware of blockers preventing this?

I am teh blag.

Occasionally I file bug reports and help out in #fedora. Whenever I do a .spec
I mail it upstream for them to include as well. The BLAG packages should
generally rebuild fine in fedora's mock, but I don't think the .specs are quite
up to your packaging guidelines, haha.  And the last "big" project I worked on
lead to a bit, um, well...

I'm not sure that fedora would want all the blag/freeeee changes or not, but it
may give the project some food for thought, especially the forthcoming freeeee
draft which I should have ready this week. Installing 30+ packages with yum,
playing video with the camera, mplaying another video, editing files etc,
encoding 270 meg song to ogg, pidgin, firefox, etc. all running simultaneously
while playing a song with *zero* stutters or dropouts on a teeny little
computer. That rules. But doing that requires jack-audio-connection-kit, which
I don't think fedora would use as a base--this shows what is possible
*out-of-the-box* at least.... (with 100% F___ S_______...)

Various SRPMS here:
ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/linux/90000/en/os/source/SRPMS.blag/
and here:
http://www.freeeee.org/source/SRPMS.FREEEEE/

Oh, I also did a crufty offline version of wikipedia with a reader formatted
for the 1024x600 screen of the eee 900 (and 901/1000, but i dont have those
yet). It is based on the kiwix project.

http://www.freeeee.org/i386/RPMS.FREEEEE/freeeee-encyclopedia-en-0.0.1-1.freeeee.noarch.rpm
http://www.freeeee.org/i386/RPMS.FREEEEE/freeeee-encyclopedia-reader-0.0.3-2.freeeee.noarch.rpm

Ciao,