Asana-Math: close but no cigar

Vasile Gaburici vgaburici at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 02:41:05 UTC 2008

It's nice to see that the first (& only?) FOSS OpenType math font,
(and by that I mean one that has a math script, like Cambria Math),
has been added to rawhide. But the font is currently useless in
Fedora, because (i) our XeTeX is too old, and (ii) the unicode-math
XeLaTeX package is not installed.

Unlike most other TeX projects, XeTeX has it's own SNV repository.
I've been using the svn version of XeTeX for a while now, mainly
because I've reported some bugs upstream (and I mean to the real
upstream, not TeXLive). The repository includes all the required texmf
bits that XeTeX needs, but unicode-math is considered experimental so
it's not installed even by the svn installation script, thus it's
missing even in TeXLive 2008. But it works well enough for me and
others on that have tried it, including typesetting the whole AMS test
document.

Given that we package xetex separately in texlive-xetex, and since it
doesn't seem likely that we'll ship TeXLive 2008 anytime soon, I'd
like to prose that we switch xetex to its own upstream sources instead
of getting the obsolete version from TeXLive 2007. This will fix (i)
without having to wait for TeXLive 2008 to get packaged. Since we'd be
using the svn sources, we can easily add unicode-math - it just needs
some files copied to texmf, so we'd fix (ii) as well.