Help! XFCE event sounds in Rawhide -- make it stop!

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Aug 13 11:41:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:09:49AM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Xfce, because Xfce doesn't
> have sound effects. Have you enabled "Launch Gnome Services on startup"
> in "Sessions and Startup"? If so, this might come from Gnome and you
> need to configure it with gnome-sound-properties.

So, yeah, I've tried that, and it gives me an error:

  Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'.

  Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences may not take
  effect. This could indicate a problem with Bonobo, or a non-GNOME (e.g.
  KDE) settings manager may already be active and conflicting with the GNOME
  settings manager.

However, I am able to make changes there, like disabling "system sounds",
and the choices I make persist -- and the sounds don't go away no matter
what I do.