Interested in Fedora on Smaller Machines?

Kevin Verma kevinverma at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 12:07:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> definitely nice idea to establish new SIG because small factor computers needs something else than standard laptops/workstations. I think it's not about hardware support. Yes, we need hardware support, but still drivers are only drivers and support of newer hardware is necessary for "notspinned" Fedora too. What is really interesting on these devices and especially what is the genial idea is UI. I like default Xandros on EEE because it's really easy to use it. Nice combination of "big" computer with PDA. Even my mum is able to use EEE without any problems. This is first computer aimed to PEOPLE! If you want to watch your TV, you are not clicking on some "start/gnome/kde" menu, locating TV station, confirming bunch of dialogs. You just turn on the TV! So without some user interface it's just smaller computer, nothing more, nothing less. It's shame from Asus to sell EEE with basic XP installation (and there is already EEE UI for Windows...).
> So if we want to make small factor computers spin, the right way is definitely to develop something more than just only basic hardware support that should go to standard Fedora repos...

I also suggest starting a SIG is right way to go, and I do support you
got it right, its not just about hardware support alone.

Looks we need to explore more usable UI's for small devices, also apps
that are more adaptive to small screens. Looks lot of work is done by
Maemo & Moblin in those areas, should we be pulling some from there ?
at-least long as those are FOSS bits.

Just in case I've been experimenting with RPM packaging these days
here are some of experimental packages that might interest you -
http://kevinverma.fedorapeople.org/packages/ I am still improving
them, and playing around with some more.

~kevin