Interested in Fedora on Smaller Machines?

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Aug 15 13:16:49 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> I'm trying to gauge the interest in starting a SIG with the purpose of
> making distribution changes to make running on these devices more
> streamlined and have more work "out of the box".  This will involve both
> the necessary work to just get the hardware working well with Fedora of
> today as well as possibly a spin that is explicitly targeted at some of
> the constraints of the hardware down the line[1].

I just received my own, played a bit with F9 and F10 Alpha live images
and right now F10 Alpha is installing to the hard drive.

> If enough people are interested, I'd like to find a time later this week
> or next week to have an initial meeting to kind of figure out what
> bounds we want to tackle things in for the first pass.  Hardware that I
> think definitely falls into the scope would be: netbooks, UMPCs, MIDs,
> maybe the XO?   I've started up a page on the wiki
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JeremyKatz/Netbooks) that people can edit
> and then we can go from there

Since I am not a developer, is any use in adding myself to that list?
What I can do is probably some testing. And maybe some link with the art
team, like optimised wallpapers (in F9 we introduced a 800x480 one for Eee).

Note: my interest is to run an out-of-the-box Desktop install (GNOME,
two panels layout, Nodoka, Echo etc.)