disk partitioning for multiOS machine

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Aug 19 12:42:37 UTC 2008

On 2008/08/19 07:40 (GMT-0400) nodata apparently typed:

> Am Dienstag, den 19.08.2008, 10:15 +0100 schrieb Richard W.M. Jones:

>> This is how I arranged a similar machine where I wanted to multi-boot
>> into Windows and several other OSes:

>>   /dev/sda1   Windows
>>   /dev/sda2   Shared /boot partition (give it 1 or 2 GB)

> Shared boot? Interesting - how well does that work with lots of things writing to it?

I sometimes do something similar. I create a primary for Grub to live on, but
don't normally mount it as /boot. That way, any changes there are changes you
know about and want because you put them there yourself. Also, with Grub on a
primary instead of the MBR, you're never at the mercy of windoz changing the
MBR such that you can't boot anything except windoz without a rescue boot
media.
http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs/grub#How_does_a_PC_boot_.2F_How_can_I_set_up_a_working_GRUB.3F
http://fm.no-ip.com/install-doz-after.html
--
"Love is not easily angered. Love does not demand
its own way."			1 Corinthians 13:5 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/