After running chkconfig... daemon up after install?

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Tue Aug 19 19:23:24 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 17:26 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> Is there a canonical procedure for either the %post or the caller of
>> rpm/yum to start any daemons that may have been installed? Doing a
>> service foo start is a no-no in %post, as the install may be happening
>> in a context that is not a normal install. But there must be a way to
>> give users happy fluffy bunnies and working active software after they
>> install a daemon in a "running machine" context.
>>
>> Pointers welcome - this is probably a FAQ but googling around I can't
>> find anything that looks like the appropriate answer.
>
> It's explicitly something that you're not supposed to do.  As you say,
> there are lots of non-normal install contexts in which packages get
> installed.  And all of those use the same toolchain for installing
> packages as the regular install path.
>
> Jeremy

Also, while there must be a reason for the user to install the daemon
package in the first place, it seems fair to at least give him the
opportunity to configure it before firing it up...

Actually, in most cases (at least for post-initial-install installed
daemons), it probably makes sense to leave them chkconfig off'ed too?

/Thomas