system autodeath

Vasile Gaburici vgaburici at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 15:38:18 UTC 2008

You're probably unaware (because you haven't read my emails to this
list) that with the 2008 edition TeXLive changed their packaging
system significantly. They now allow incremental upgades of their
packages.

If Fedora just did a rehash of how TeXLive 2007 is packaged I woudln't
use it, because it won't allow fine-grained upgrades. It takes
significant effort, even with automated tools to package and *test*
1500 rpms. AFAICT that's more than Fedora's repository currently has.
And I can't justify the time this would take me. TeXLive's package
manager is not as good a rpm, but the new 2008 version of it (finally)
knows what a dependency is.

Besides, if *I* were to submit 1500 packages for review, they'd take
100+ years to get done at the rate at which my packages got reviewed.
Flamesuit on.