targeted help and/or classroom sessions

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Aug 28 04:46:54 UTC 2008

Greetings.

As part of the effort to improve IRC support, there were 2 ideas
discussed at several of our last meetings (Thursdays at 15:30UTC in
#fedora-meeting, everyone welcome):

First, the idea of "targeted help". Basically have an expert or two who
knows a lot about a package or group of packages that would advertise
being available via IRC for some specific time period (an hour or two)
and answer questions on that software. Folks with problems related to
that area could come and see if they could get help solving those
problems. The end user hopefully gets their problem solved, and the
developer gets an chance to help someone and also some important
information about how the software is being used or pitfalls to correct
or bugs to fix. We could advertise a schedule of these sessions or
office hours.

Secondly, the idea of end user targeted classroom sessions. Someone who
knows a lot about an area could spend an hour session guiding a
classroom of folks through using some software or how to help Fedora in
some area, or show off some new feature that will be in the next
release. This might need/use something like the fedora VOIP system or
screen/whiteboard software in addition to IRC. Depending on the
material this might take more setting up than the targeted help
sessions.

So, the reason I am posting here is that I am looking for interested
maintainers/developers who would be up for doing one or both of these
things. Feel free to mail me or catch me on irc if you are interested
in helping out or running one of these and helping to form the
process. ;)

Comments/Questions/Ideas welcome.

kevin