using yum/repoquery to provide dependency trees

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 23:46:15 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I just installed rawhide (F10 Alpha LiveCD + yum update) into a
virtual machine to play around with what I could get into a 4GB
location like you'd get on a some of the netbooks out there to see
what sort of milage you'd get. Doing a standard install by booting the
LiveCD, selecting the install to hard disk icon and then selecting all
the the defaults it installed in an lvm vol of around 2.3 gig with the
remaining going to swap. It installed but basically I then had space
issues when trying to do a 'yum update'... interesting!

Anyway I'm wondering if there's a way to some dep tree style bits with
packages that are installed to see what causes the dependencies of
what is actually installed. EG if I do a 'yum remove perl' it
basically wants to uninstall gnome and a lot more but it would be nice
to be able to see exactly what installed packages depend on perl or
perl-Pop-Simple for example.

Peter