The looming Python 3(000) monster

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 19:33:29 UTC 2008

2008/12/5 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>
>> Is there not a subset of features which exist in both 2.5 and 3.0
>> which can be used in 2.6?
>>

> Trivial code can work but I wouldn't bet on any applications (with all
> their library dependencies) being able to work in both 2.5 and 3.0.
> Some things are a lot of work: you can't easily deal with methods in the
> stdlib changing between 2.x and 3.x except to write your own version or
> either the 3.x or 2.x version.

I'm sorry, I thought we were only discussing this in reference to
apps/tools that are directly under Fedora's control. And that
everything purely 3rd party would be built against 2.6 or 3.0 as
deemed by upstream. If this is not the case, then I better understand
the depth of the problem.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )