Logout sound ever gonna be fixed?

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 01:12:58 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 2:06 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 16:52 -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
>> > If you tell me how i can execute a file inside c code (in a way that
>> > gnome accepts it) then i will do my best to make a patch.
>> >
>> > And just to be sure.. if i make a patch with logout sound support i
>> > need to edit the gsm_logout_supports_* function in the
>> > gsm_logout_dialog.c file right and assign there appropriate sound name
>> > in each function (logout gets a logout sound, shutdown gets a shutdown
>> > sound etc...)
>>
>> I think the problem is that gnome-session doesn't know about logout
>> actions. So, the sound might get queued up at exit by
>> gnome-settings-daemon or something, but gnome-session doesn't know to
>> wait for it and just shuts down as fast as it can.
>
> The problem is that gnome-session does not know about logout actions,
> therefore no sound is queued at all. The idea is that gnome-session
> would execute all the shell scripts in /usr/share/gnome/shutdown/. Of
> course, there is some details to work out, like when in the shutdown
> sequence to do this (or can scripts register to run in a  certain phase
> of the shutodwn ?), and how to wait for the logout sound to be completed
> without letting a misbehaving script block logout, etc. This should best
> happen in upstream bugzilla.

Well for the sounds and logout i wouldn't mind it if gnome is not
waiting for the sound and just logs out. then a part of the sound
might still be playing when your already back at the login screen
which doesn't seem to bad to me..

But for the "logout actions" ... where in all of gnome are those
defined anyway? and what are those gsm_logout_supports_* functions in
gsm-logout-dialog.c?? i thought those for logout handling ^_^