use fcron as default scheduler in Fedora?

Marcela Maslanova mmaslano at redhat.com
Mon Dec 8 12:43:14 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 09:26:24AM +0100, Marcela Maslanova wrote:
>
>> cronie is also using inotify, longer than fcron ;-) So this is not
>> advantage.
>
> Indeed. (As a side note, since fcron didn't watched at all for those
> files and directories, 'longer than fcron' has not a well defined
> meaning ;-).
>
> I haven't fully understood the code, but it seems to me that cronie will
> miss the creation of /etc/crontab if it didn't exist when the select in
> check_inotify_database is entered? And does it watch modifications of
> files in RH_CROND_DIR?

No, inotify is set to watch /etc/crontab even in case it's created after
start of daemon.
Yes, I set watch on /etc/cron.d/, so it's checking all changes in this
directory.
> In any case you may have a look at
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/fcron/devel/fcron_config_modified.c?revision=1.1&view=markup
> though it is not exactly the same context (it is called from a shell
> script and if it exits with exit code 0 the configuration is reread by
> another shell script), here I also watch /etc in case crontab wasn't
> there already, to watch for its creation.

How many times is lstat touching the disc? I suppose you are lstat'ing,
only when you are creating the watch?

--
Marcela Mašláňová
BaseOS team Brno