Seahorse is orphaned?

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon Dec 8 15:50:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 08:44 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 16:45 +0530, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> >> I just noticed that the 'seahorse' package is orphaned [1] although
> >> Matthias and others seem to be taking care of it for some time. So is
> >> the package really orphaned or is this just an oversight?
> >>

> > Hmm, funny. I've asked Tomas Bzatek to take it. He's the maintainer of
> > gnome-keyring-manager, and we are going to obsolete g-k-m in favour of
> > seahorse anyway...
> >

> > Matthias
> >

> Would it be possible to get a name-change on seahorse? It's a great
> utility, but the name "seahorse" doesn't do anything at all to indicate
> what the program does.
>
> If a user is looking for a way to manage their keyring, how would they
> ever know to install a package called "seahorse"?
>
> Is there a really compelling reason why it couldn't just be renamed to
> something like gnome-keyring2?

If you want the package name changed, you'll have to take it upstream,
since our policy is to follow the upstream name for package names.

But I don't think it is that bad. The package has

Name        : seahorse
Summary     : A GNOME application for managing encryption keys
Description :
Seahorse is a graphical interface for managing and using encryption
keys. It also integrates with nautilus, gedit and other places for
encryption operations.

And the desktop file has

Name=Passwords and Encryption Keys
Comment=Manage your passwords and encryption keys