New project, for fun and excitement: Offtrac!

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 06:15:12 UTC 2008

So today I was looking at a ToDo item, which was create milestones in
the rel-eng trac instance for the Fedora 11 release cycle, and fill
those milestones up with tickets.  I thought to myself, that's a lot of
web clicking to do, there has to be an easier way!

Well there is and there isn't.  I wanted to programatically create the
milestones and tickets, and it turns out there are no existing command
line tools to do this.  I was told that I could just use the trac python
module and do it directly on the server writing my own client.

Well sure, that would work, but how useful is that to the many project
owners at fedorahosted.org ?  Not very.

Thankfully there is an xmlrpc plugin for Trac, that exposes a few things
via xmlrpc.  This means any client computer can connect over xmlrpc and
do things such as create milestones, and tickets, and get info of
existing things.

Of course, there are no well known pre-written clients to do this.

Enter Offtrac!  https://fedorahosted.org/offtrac/

Offtrac is my attempt at creating a python library for interacting with
trac via xmlrpc.  I've also created a reference application that makes
use of this library, configured for the Fedora Hosted environment.

What it does right now:
 * Query existing tickets
 * List existing milestones
 * Get information about particular tickets
 * Get information about particular milestones
 * Create new tickets
 * Create new milestones

All authenticated! (via https)

There are lots more things that could be done, just look at all the fun
listed here: https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/xmlrpc

I'm looking for folks that would like to extend what I have, and help me
to make the library more like a library.  It's only my second attempt at
an API and well I'm not great at it (:

I'm also looking for folks that would like to extend the fedora-hosted
client, and to start looking at doing things like "make tag-request"
from your pkg-cvs checkouts.

If you want to join the fun, find me on freenode IRC as "f13", or just
start mailing patches to me and we'll take it from there.

Have fun!

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!