What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Dec 9 16:27:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Michal Schmidt <mschmidt at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 01:25:40 +0100
> Robert Scheck <robert at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> [PackageKit] kills my Firefox nicely during package updating,
>> well-well done.
>
> Running instances of Firefox always break when the Firefox package is
> being updated. It does not matter what you use for the update (rpm,
> yum, PK). This is not PackageKit's fault.

In general, any software can break when a running copy has its files
swapped out from under it.  XULRunner-based apps exacerbate this flaw
in the package system because they use versioned directories.

But it's not Firefox's fault either.  Think about icons, glade files,
etc. that might be included in software.

It's something that really needs to be fixed in yum/rpm.  Windows has
a notion of "update this file after reboot", which might be the way to
go.