What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 21:16:49 UTC 2008

Stefan Held wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 10.12.2008, 14:29 -0600 schrieb Les Mikesell:
>
>> I'm not sure how practical that would be unless you could still mount
>> and access the updated version after reverting.  Suppose you've done
>> several days work before you trip over the showstopper bug that makes
>> you want to revert.  Or the update makes format changes that aren't
>> backwards compatible in files on other partitions?
>
> This is more than practical :)
>
> To be honest, the solaris guys are doing this recently. Take a snapshot,
> apply the updates. If something is wrong you can move backwards and
> forwards in the snapshots for the root partition.
>
>> I'd go for an option to install a spare matching partition for the
>> system and have updates always rsync the previous to it before changing
>> anything (both partitions always mounted, no lvm magic) but even that
>> doesn't cover everything that can go wrong.
>
> This solution would be best with splitting /home into a own lvm
> partition. I never heard of a system update breaking something serios
> in /home :)

I think that means you've never tried running multiple versions with an
nfs mounted home.  All sorts of things twiddle their dot-files with
changes that older copies don't like.  So once you have run the new
version of a program you may not be able to go back.

> Your solution would use to much space in my opinion.

Disk space is cheap in most cases - and regardless, an LVM would have to
have space for the snapshot and it's cheaper than maintaining a separate
test machine or VM image.  And as an option, anyone who didn't want it
wouldn't have to.  The main downside I see is that you'd have to decide
up front how big the system can grow and allocate 2 of them.

I do think it is better to focus on how to avoid breaking important
machines in the first place - and that necessarily involves breaking
more unimportant ones, but this could be another safety net.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com