What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Dec 10 21:52:10 UTC 2008

> On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 20:17 +0100, Iain Arnell wrote:
> > 2008/12/10 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:

> > Requests for new packages should only be permitted in rawhide by
> > default (and consequently, EPEL+1 whenever and whatever that may be).
> > Some form of additional review/sponsorship/bribery should be a
> > prerequisite for branches in already-released version.

> Interesting idea!
IMO, a highly counterproductive idea:
* Most new packages don't cause malfunctionals to existing packages.

* Not letting new packages in released versions of Fedora
- reduces a package's exposure to users and thereby reduces
  possibilities to test a package and opportunities to find bugs.
- Renders Fedora less interesting to prospective contributors.

Ralf