Making updates-testing more useful

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Dec 11 05:55:31 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Could there be a way to throw everything in the same repo and give the
> user/installer a choice of how 'well-tested' something should be before
> installing it?  Preferably with a sliding scale instead of just 2
> choices.  Normally on new installs and machines used explicitly for
> testing I'd expect people to want the latest changes but become more
> conservative on machines that are working well and used for important
> work.  The 'well-tested' concept might have factors for age, feedback,
> emergency overrides, etc.

This is horribly overengineered and just can't work (for the reasons Jesse
Keating already pointed out, so I won't repeat them).

I think the added complexity would also confuse end users, but we don't even
have to get that far with the discussion because it is impossible to
implement anyway.

        Kevin Kofler