What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Bradley Baetz bbaetz at acm.org
Thu Dec 11 07:51:24 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:17 AM, Bradley Baetz <bbaetz at acm.org> wrote:
>> But what, specifically, were you missing?
>
> I also use Fedora as my primary OS, and seeing as most OSS software
> brings new features and bug fixes with each release, what's not to
> want with a new update?

The pain of breaking something that was already working as part of
getting security and other critical bugfixes?

Again, I agree that one of Fedora's strengths is the ability to deliver
new features and bug fixes to existing releases. I'm just saying that
the risks mean that there needs to be a reason apart from the fact that
there *are* new features to push an update.

> Shouldn't one be able to stay within the
> package management system and be as up to date with Windows/Mac
> software where packages are manually downloaded?

I guess that depends on whether you consider Fedora to be a distribution
method for a collection of separate packages, which are all able to be
updated to the latest and greatest, or if you consider it as a product
that, as an implementation detail, happens to contain lots of separate
projects' work.

Fedora-the-product has a set of features. Some of its components get new
features upstream, and then Fedora-the-product+1 gets those too.
Fedora-the-packageset has a lot of packages that are always able to be
updated, and Fedora-the-packageset+1 is published in a more convenient
form that the previous version+updates, with new features that were
mostly omitted from updates for logistical reasons.

Of course, reality is somewhere in between the two.

Bradley